Friday, August 3, 2012

The Immortal Rules By: Julie Kagawa

Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Pages: 512
Level: Young Adult
Published: April 24, 2012




"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.


Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.


Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.


Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.


But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.


Review:


I don't even know where to begin. From the minute I read the synopsis, this book captivated me. It had an interesting plot line, one I certainly hadn't read before.
As I got into the book it surprised me even more because not only was it a new interesting vampire book (I mean come on, how many are out there thousands?), but it was also in a way a dystopian novel. Which really appealed to me.


At the beginning of the book it starts off with part one, when she's human. I knew that she was going to turn into a vampire, but... I don't know it's hard to explain. The first part of the book was like a small story inside of the book itself. As soon as you got attached to the characters they were ripped away and you had to meet  new ones. As well as in the second part. I mean it's kind of appealing because the plot never fails to remain interesting, but I'm so used to having to leave characters behind at the end of a book or series that it left me kind of heart broken considering it was the first 150 pages.


Eventually that stopped though and there was just one solid set of characters. I have to admit I liked almost all of the characters. By the end of the book I was really attached to each and every one (especially Darren), which was surprising because some of them were extremely obnoxious.


The plot also failed to bore me, which is probably the biggest plus out there. The only issue I had, which isn't even a major issue considering it's my opinion, but I hated the ending. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've read the book or once you do. I don't want to give away spoilers, but I'll just leave with the fact that Allison's and Zeke's relationship status at the end disappointed me. I am going to be dreading the wait for the next installment.


Cover: 4/5
Character Rating: 5/5
Style: 4/5
Plot Development: 5/5
Overall: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message after the beep.
Beeeeeeeep.